Divorce Information Sessions
Tubman offers Divorce Information Sessions, currently held once per month in Minneapolis and once per month in Maplewood. The Divorce Information Sessions are hosted by family law attorneys, who give a class-style presentation on divorce related topics. Attendees will be provided with information to answer questions like:
- How do I get a divorce?
- What does the divorce process look like?
- Can I get a divorce just because I want to, or do I have to prove that my spouse did something wrong (like cheating or abuse)?
- What documents do I need to get together before I file the papers in court?
- What papers do I have to file with the court?
- My spouse is violent and abusive. How can I protect myself and my children?
- Do I have to go to mediation?
- What will happen to our house, mortgage, and cars?
- How is custody of the kids decided? Do I have to let my spouse see the kids if s/he doesn’t pay child support?
- How much child support will I get, or have to pay?
- Will I have to pay alimony? Or can I get alimony?
- This is really overwhelming. I think I need an attorney. How do I find the right attorney?
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Anyone can attend a Tubman Divorce Information Session, but you must pre-register. The cost is only $20, although this cost may be waived if you are low-income.
Call 612–870-2426 to sign up, and visit www.tubman.org for additional information and resources.