Join our Tubman team
FT Shelter Overnight Advocate
Tubman is seeking one full-time Shelter Advocate to join a dynamic and collaborative team to support the agency’s mission, vision, and values. This position will be based at our Maplewood Shelter. The currently available shift is Sunday-Thursday11pm-7:30am and is subject to change based on client needs.
This position provides essential and supportive care to people and families staying at Tubman. The role promotes positive relationships and healing through creation of a welcoming environment with access to many resources services. Additional responsibilities include: inventory and data entry, help line calls, emotional support, and connecting clients to relevant assistance.
Here’s your opportunity to strengthen our shelter clients’ wellness goals during your shifts. Celebrate all of our clients’ small and large accomplishments and help problem solve and encourage them as they break down barriers to their goals.
This position requires the ability to create a welcoming and healing environment for crisis line callers, walk-in clients, and shelter clients.
Provide exceptional wrap-around services to all ages and genders. Foster positive and effective methods to strengthen teamwork and services to clients. Contribute to positive and exceptional teamwork outcomes.
Enter data and strengthen communication with team. Be able to problem-solve situations and communicate outcomes you accomplished during your shifts with our team.
- Undergraduate degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Two years direct service experience related to violence
- Ability to engage diverse youth, parents and families in activities that promote healthy relationships and goal attainment
- Ability to foster a culturally inclusive environment
- Understanding of teamwork and the ability to work in partnership with clients and other agencies
- Experience in implementing interventions to support complex trauma
- Experience in effectively managing crisis situations and acting out behaviors in a strength-based manner
- Restorative justice experience
- Strong de-escalation skills
- Graduate work in related field and ability to speak more than one language
- A strong understanding of youth development
- Is dedicated to Tubman’s mission and demonstrates strong values-alignment with Tubman’s core values and philosophies
- Ensures clients are empowered to make their own choices and understands the role of the advocate is to facilitate those choices
- Fosters individual development of healthy boundaries and leadership
Salary is dependent upon experience and qualifications.
To apply: Send resumes and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or Tubman Center East, Attn: HR Dept. 1725 Monastery Way, Maplewood, MN 55109
We encourage applications from people of color, multilingual speakers, people of all genders, veterans and people with disabilities. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About us: Tubman’s philosophy is rooted in our inspiration and namesake, Harriet Tubman. Facing unrelenting adversities, Harriet Tubman encouraged others to simply "Keep going." Each year, Tubman offers safety, healing and hope to over 25,000 people of all ages who are facing violence, exploitation, homelessness, addiction or mental health challenges. Our culturally responsive services are rooted in decades of research, innovation, experience, and partnership. Incorporating feedback from the people we serve and the community, Tubman provides countless ways to help