Join our Tubman team
Overnight Shelter Advocate 9.27.21
Why work for Tubman?
Tubman’s vision represents the future we want for our clients and the wider community: thriving people, healthy relationships, and peaceful communities. Our mission is to advance opportunities for change so that every person can experience safety, hope, and healing. These key strategic directions guide our work:
- Provide streamlined access to exceptional, relevant services
- Engage the community to take action
- Invigorate organizational culture to sustain innovation, engagement, wellbeing, and diversity
- Strengthen the agency’s infrastructure in order to better serve
Tubman’s philosophy is rooted in our inspiration and namesake, Harriet Tubman. Facing unrelenting adversities, Harriet Tubman encouraged others to simply "Keep going." Each year, Tubman offers safety, healing and hope to nearly 25,000 people of all ages, genders, and cultural backgrounds who are facing violence, exploitation, homelessness, addiction or mental health challenges. Our culturally responsive services are rooted in decades of research, innovation, experience, and partnership. Incorporating feedback from the people we serve and the community, Tubman provides countless ways to help.
Tubman offers a mission centered culture that values integrity, respect, innovation, partnership, and social justice. Our programs are strength-based, client-centered, and rooted in hope. Our work environment focuses on flexibility, self-care, and work-life balance for all employees.
Tubman’s Commitment to Diversity and Equity
Tubman is an affirming workplace that values people’s identities and multiple dimensions of diversity. We are fiercely committed to equity and inclusion. Tubman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to hire a diverse workforce that reflects the people we serve. Tubman believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion amongst our staff are vital to both Tubman’s and our clients’ success. We strive to hire, develop, and retain the best people from a diverse pool of candidates. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, multilingual speakers, people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, and veterans are all encouraged to apply.
Here’s your opportunity to strengthen our shelter clients’ wellness goals during your shifts. Celebrate all of our clients’ small and large accomplishments and help problem solve and encourage them as they break down barriers to their goals.
This position requires the ability to create a welcoming and healing environment for crisis line callers, walk-in clients, and shelter clients.
Provide exceptional wrap-around services to all ages and genders. Foster positive and effective methods to strengthen teamwork and services to clients. Contribute to positive and exceptional teamwork outcomes.
Enter data and strengthen communication with team. Be able to problem-solve situations and communicate outcomes you accomplished during your shifts with our team.
- Two years direct service experience related to violence
- Ability to engage diverse youth, parents and families in activities that promote healthy relationships and goal attainment
- Ability to foster a culturally inclusive environment
- Understanding of teamwork and the ability to work in partnership with clients and other agencies
- Undergraduate degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Experience in implementing interventions to support complex trauma
- Experience in effectively managing crisis situations and acting out behaviors in a strength-based manner
- Restorative justice experience
- Strong de-escalation skills
- Graduate work in related field and ability to speak more than one language
- A strong understanding of youth development
- Is dedicated to Tubman’s mission and demonstrates strong values-alignment with Tubman’s core values and philosophies
- Ensures clients are empowered to make their own choices and understands the role of the advocate is to facilitate those choices
- Fosters individual development of healthy boundaries and leadership
Compensation & Benefits
The starting salary for the position is $17.00 per hours dependent upon experience. There is a $19/hour shift differential for weekend and overnight shifts.
Tubman provides a quality benefits package that includes a highly competitive paid-time off program, multiple health plan options, employer paid dental, short and long-term disability and life insurances, as well as other optional health and wellness insurances to meet diverse employee needs, and a 401(k) plan. Tubman is a qualified employer under the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program. In addition, you will have multiple professional development and personal growth opportunities while at Tubman.
Preference given to applications received by Friday, October 15th.
Send resumes and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or Tubman Center East, Attn: HR Dept. 1725 Monastery Way, Maplewood, MN 55109.