Join our Tubman team
Tubman is seeking a full time Staff Attorney to join a collaborative team to support the agency’s mission, vision and values.
This position is designed to assist clients by providing legal information, advice and referrals, and by providing representation in court hearings. This position will be based in our Maplewood office and will provide legal representation to clients in Washington, Hennepin and Ramsey counties. The Staff Attorney position will focus largely on representation in Order for Protection and Harassment Restraining Orders and will regularly include representation in family court matters such as divorce and custody.
The Staff Attorney will frequently work in collaborative groups working on issues related to victim services and family law issues. While working within the Tubman team, this attorney will assist in maintaining and developing forms, policies and procedures for the legal services that Tubman provides. Additionally, this internal team tracks outcome progress and success.
The Staff Attorney will also be expected to provide training both internally and externally regarding issues affecting victim services and to participate in recruiting, training and mentoring volunteer attorneys and law clerks.
- JD degree and current MN license required.
- Previous litigation and trial experience strongly preferred.
- o Experience representing low-income and diverse client populations and a demonstrated understanding of the additional barriers to accessing the legal system these populations face.
- Experience working with victims of violence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible work style and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- 2-5 years of litigation and trial experience in family law/domestic violence or other civil non-profit field.
- Experience working in a non-profit agency.
- Experience with recruiting and training volunteers.
- Experience collaborating with legal advocates.
- Experience in family law.
Leads: Supervises student interns, and volunteer attorneys as needed.
Reports to: Senior Staff Attorney
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage applications from people of color, multilingual speakers, people of all genders, veterans and people with disabilities. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open until filled. Preference will be given to resumes received by March 15, 2020.
About us: Tubman’s philosophy is rooted in our inspiration and namesake, Harriet Tubman. Facing unrelenting adversities, Harriet Tubman encouraged others to simply "Keep going." Each year, Tubman offers safety, hope, and healing to nearly 25,000 people of all ages, genders and cultural backgrounds who are facing violence, exploitation, homelessness, addiction or mental health challenges. Our culturally responsive services are rooted in decades of research, innovation, experience and partnership. Incorporating feedback from the people we serve and the community, Tubman provides countless ways to help. To learn more, please visit www.tubman.org.